Do you ever get stuck in a rut? Let’s be honest, this happens to all of us. Whether you’re currently feeling less than inspired or you want to keep the mojo flowing, this week’s post will do you some good.
Have you ever noticed how when you travel or go somewhere new you feel so present? You walk down a street and you can see everything happening around you. The architecture, a street vendor, a cute little antique shop, or the locals doing their thing. It’s like time slows down and all our sensors are turned on. In daily life, we can get so busy, so caught up in our routine, it’s almost like we go on autopilot, and forget how much we need newness and adventure.
Freshening up our everyday routine, even in small ways, allows us to turn our senses back on and get a more expansive mindset. An expansive mindset = More creativity. Yay! The even better news is that you don’t have to take a week off work and go on a creativity workshop to get results (but that would be amazing if you have the time and resources!). Here are 5 rut-busting changes to your routine to get your groove back. Don’t worry, you’ve got this Stella.
- Creative commute. If you commute to and from work via car, try walking, biking or public transportation for a day. This not only supports a cleaner environment, it (literally) gives you a brand new perspective. Ready for a real adventure? Take a friend, spouse, kid or pet with you!
- Fresh food fun. Grocery shopping at a new market with a different selection of standard fare can be awesome for inspiring a new dish. Even better? Find a local farmer’s market and meet the awesome folks who are bringing fresh food to your table.
- AM switch up. Try changing up the order of your regular morning routine. One of my favorites is grabbing coffee and then getting back to bed for a few moments of quiet before starting the day. It’s so luxurious! I’m also currently perfecting my own version of bulletproof coffee for a change to the routine. At the very least, if you always shower and then brush your teeth, do it backwards for a week.
- New skills. Try a new hobby for a really fresh start. I recently started taking piano lessons and when I finally mastered “Old MacDonald” I literally felt like a piano prodigy. Let’s be real, I still do. #nailedit #sorrynotsorry
- Local explorers. Spending an hour or two exploring a tucked away part of your local hood is a great mini adventure and creativity jolt. Grab a coffee and just wander to get lost in the newness of the area.
Can’t wait to hear how you’re mixing it up this week!